I’m back! Sorry for the long delay between posts…between traveling in Ireland for 2 weeks and the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I have had zero time to post. I promise I’ll be making up for it with all kinds of fun Ireland travels 🙂

November 4- Travel Day

Our trip to Ireland began very very early Saturday morning (4 am) with a car ride to the Indianapolis train station. Huge thanks to Josh’s parents for taking us and saving us a ton of money by not having to park our car somewhere up there for 2 weeks! We arrived at the train station a little early, so we had to wait a bit before boarding the train. The little over 5 hour train ride from Indy to Chicago (slightly longer than planned as we got behind a slow moving freight train and had a few delays) was rather boring and uneventful (a little Hallmark movie watching, staring out the window, and a nice little nap).

Once we arrived in Chicago, we navigated our way through Union Station to the Clinton Street L station for an hour and twenty minute ride to O’Hare Airport. Talk about a lot of traveling. And this was only the beginning! Once we arrived at O’Hare, we found ourselves waiting in line to check our bags and get our boarding passes. We thought it was going to go quickly, but we ended up standing for an hour before anyone came to the KLM desk!!! I was SO frustrated. And hungry. Ok, mostly just hungry as I hadn’t eaten for almost 8 hours. And for anyone who knows me, you know this is just really not normal or acceptable. We finally got our bags checked and our boarding passes and made our way through security. Unfortunately, our flight got delayed 2 hours and 15 minutes, so now we had a grand ole 5 hours and 45 minutes (instead of 3 hours and 15 minutes) to kill before our flight.


We found a pizza place, Tocco, to eat at and it was actually really good. I needed a drink (I probably shouldn’t have, you know, since I hadn’t eaten for 8 hours), so I ordered a mojito. Josh had a Sam Adams Oktoberfest. For an appetizer, we had gnocco fritto (fried dough squares served with a variety of meats). They were not kidding with the meats. I honestly think there was almost a pound each of freshly sliced turkey, prosciutto, and ham. It was delicious. We also ordered the Casereccia pizza (white pizza with smoked mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and mushrooms). While it was good, it was obviously wayyy overpriced as it was at the airport. Thankfully, we had both received meal vouchers from KLM due to our delayed flight which we used towards our meal here.

After eating, we walked around the international terminal for a bit trying to kill some time. I had a nice nap at our gate. When I woke up, we still had several hours and were bored, so we walked around some more. We even found a quiet corner and did some ROMWOD (If you’re ever wondering if you can stretch in jeans…American Eagle jeans for the win on this one!). 


Josh got a coffee to help him stay awake. We decided we should probably get some dinner because we weren’t sure any food would be served during our flight because of the delay. Josh got a Kung Pao chicken and Thai curry chicken bao with a spicy peanut noodle salad from Wow Bao and I had a steak pita with fries from Urban Olive. The baos and pita were actually both really good even with being fast food airport food! Finally (finally! finally! finally!) it was time to board our plane and head to Amsterdam! I have no idea who the kid is that photo-bombed us, but he’s fantastic!


Almost as soon as we got in the air, the flight attendant announced they would be serving us dinner. I know we had just eaten about an hour before, but who am I to turn down free food? I had the pasta option with a roll, cheddar cheese, a salad with Italian dressing, Club crackers, and a very yummy brownie with peanut butter crumbles on top. Josh had the same thing except with meatballs instead of pasta. One thing I love about international flights are all the movies they offer. I thoroughly enjoyed watching “Girls Night” while eating my dinner. So funny, so very inappropriate. Check it out. After the movie was finished, I fell asleep for a few hours. It wasn’t great sleep, as you know from flying, but it was sleep nonetheless. I woke up with about an hour left until arriving in Amsterdam, so I started “Chips”. What little I got to see, I enjoyed. Who doesn’t love a silly/funny cop movie and that’s just what this is. We arrived in Amsterdam without any issues and made our way to our next gate. Except we couldn’t get into our gate. It was all closed off by glass doors. We could see people already in there, but had no idea how to get in. Since we still had about 2.5 hours before our flight to Dublin, we wandered around and seriously questioned how we were going to get into our gate. After much perplexing, I finally asked a KLM agent. Apparently, the gates are used for people from upstairs (where exactly they’re coming from/going, I have no idea) as well as the main floor and sometimes are closed off. So, no worries, the gate for our flight just hadn’t opened yet. Again, we had lots of time to kill and not a lot to do except walk around and look through the airport shops. We had a very quick (about 45 minute), uneventful plane ride from Amsterdam to Dublin with an intriguing sandwich of organic bread with free range chicken with pumpkin carrot spread. I quite enjoyed that the packaging made a point of describing how well the chickens were cared for and that they even had day quarters and night quarters for spending their time.

Tip of the day: Buy direct flights, so that you don’t have to sit around in airports for hours on end. Unless, you want to save lots of money.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s